Valentines Day is coming up and that gives me an excuse to make pretty cupcakes. I’ve never been a fan of overly pink and red cakes but I think I’ve managed to create a slightly valentines style with rose shaped icing. I’ve used Nutella in the icing which made in look a pretty brown, pink colour and I’ve also added little gold stars which make them look slightly rose gold, which I love. These could be made for any occasion because they are super tasty, hope you all have a lovely Valentine’s Day, whether you have a significant other or not!
- Self-Raising Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Essence
These cakes are super easy to make and to remember, also they taste incredible. The mixture is just a plain sponge so this can be also used to make a Victoria sponge with jam and butter icing.
- Depending on how many cakes you want choose either 2/3/4 eggs and weigh them. I used 2 eggs, which made 8 cupcakes. The eggs I used came to 132g and so everything else needs to weigh exactly the same. (Except the vanilla essence)
- Mix together the margarine and sugar until white and fluffy and then add a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Add the eggs one at a time with a little flour to stop it curdling.
- When all the eggs are mixed in, add the rest of the flour and fold that in. (or mix quickly)
- Fill the cupcake cases 2/3 full and then bake in the oven for around 10/12 minutes at 180 degrees. Keep checking the cupcakes and when golden brown they should be done. To check if they are done, poke a skewer into the middle of a cake and if it comes out clean they are done.
- If you’ve read my other cake blog posts you know Im not very helpful when it comes to icing as I just make it up.
- I add a chunk of margarine maybe around 50g and then about 120g of icing sugar a bit at a time so it doesn’t all fly away. You might need to add a few splashes of water to, to help it all bind together.
- When you have a good icing add a tablespoon of Nutella (or chocolate spread) and mix it all together.
- Use a piping bag something that you can use a nozzle with. Pipe the icing from the inside out with an extra circle on the top of the outside to create the rose shape.
- Add any decorations you want; gold stars, little hearts, sprinkles, melted chocolate… You can make them exactly how you want.